Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Vocabulary Quiz Tomorrow, Thursday, 10/4/12

Below is a copy of the vocabulary that I gave you yesterday and the single math problem. Here it is in case you forgot to take it home to study for the quiz tonight!


Time Zone Vocabulary
1.   Earth's rotation - the earth rotates 1 complete time in 24 hours

2.   meridians (longitude lines) - the ancient Greeks mathematically divided the earth into 360 equal segments that were 15° wide in order to create a system of time for each 24 hour day

3.   360 ÷ 24 (hours) = 15 (or 15°)

4.   Prime Meridian -   0° longitude (the starting point)

5.   Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) - Greenwich, England is the city that sits directly on the Prime Meridian; GMT refers to solar time at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, England. Also referred to as Zulu Time.

6.   International Dateline - a generally north-south imaginary line on the surface of the Earth, passing through the middle of the Pacific Ocean, that designates the place where each calendar day begins. It is roughly along 180° longitude, opposite the Prime Meridian.

41 comments:

  1. Is the quiz going to look like this??? Oh and also, FIRST COMMENT!!!!
    Thais Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about to study :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs.Morton-my aunt says the greeks divided the earth into 24 equal segments. is that true or is it 360
    -Nora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm. I just got it stuck in my head that it was 360 after studying it. I hope I don't have to re-learn it.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister won't stop singing the time zones song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. im about to study !!!!!
    kassidy street

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I studied for an hour.
      I am going to ace the quiz!

      Delete
  8. I just finished studying for 1 1/2 hours. I'm sooooooo ready for the quiz tomorrow!!!!
    :) :) :) :)
    Aayushi Shah

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldnt find where to comment for the videos but i watched the.....also i studied Keyarash Hatamzadeh 4th period

    ReplyDelete
  10. Studying in process...
    P.S. This website froze my Nook Tablet
    Cali Harper
    4th Period
    ^w^

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so ready for the quiz tommorrow. Ace the test. GO CAROLINE

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im soooooooooooooooooo ready!!!!!!!
    Grace Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  13. IM AS READY AS EVER! Will the test look like this?
    -Margo Shainberg :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am ready 4 the test!!!!!! :-)
    Jace Carter

    ReplyDelete
  15. Studying NOW ! :)
    -Taylor C

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am currently studying and testing myself. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anthony Pham (forgot to type my name)

      Delete
  17. i am so ready for the test!!!!
    Emily Barrach :p

    ReplyDelete
  18. Im ready! thanks :)
    Dora Wierdl

    ReplyDelete
  19. i am also ready for the test!!
    -lucy rose:DD

    ReplyDelete
  20. studied!!!!!!
    Garret Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  21. done studying.
    Ian H-M

    ReplyDelete
  22. i did well on this test............i think.



    liliana jonkus

    ReplyDelete
  23. I aced the quiz
    -Anna Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  24. aced it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Garret Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  25. mrs morton, you changed the test to tuesday right???
    Thais Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  26. mr.pickins gave garret taylor ISS because garret tapped on mr.pickins on the chest by accident and mr.pickins called it you-know-what harassment!!!! :(((((
    that is really not fair if you ask me. garret did not mean any wrong, and mr.pickins is unreasonable for assuming anything like that.
    -nizar jibrin
    (p.s.: Not trying to be a lawyer or anything)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the help with studying :) I made an A!
    Dora Wierdl

    ReplyDelete
  28. thanks nizar!!! he is right.
    Garret Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sorry that i wasn't able to take the test that day, hopefully i will be able to take it monday.

    AMARI LLOYD! ^_^

    ReplyDelete