Saturday, August 13, 2011

Dear Parents....
Your children and I have had a great first week! We have covered the continents and oceans, latitude and longitude, the important lines of latitude and longitude that bear names, parts of a map and map skills, such as scale and plotting latitude and longitude. Whew! We worked hard! And I have had such a good time getting to know your students. They are an exceptionally fantastic group of middle-schoolers. And, by the way, thanks to all of you who helped your student post the Travel Video Project. They were fantastic!
We also began a small in-class project on Social Justice/Human Rights or Animal Rights issues (choose an issue, choose a country, find what you need in one of my National Geographic magazines and create a collage/postcard on an index card). The students are coming up with some fabulous and creative ideas for this project! I can’t wait to put them up next week.
We took a quiz on Wednesday on the continents and oceans. 99.9% of the class made an “A” on that quiz. I was so happy with those grades. However, at the end of the week, we took a test on the parts of the map and two map skills. I was very disappointed that a large group of students reported that they either didn’t study for the test, or they simply “looked over” their notes, or they had not used ALL of the study materials I had posted for them on the syllabus for this test. I have not finished grading all of the tests yet, but I can see this trend reflected in many of the grades, thus far.
Let me explain to you how I prepare students for a test: I cover the material in class, we take notes, practice any skills in class both as a group and individuals, re-teach anything someone may have the need to re-visit, use hands-on materials, games, powerpoints, visuals, smartboard activities and websites to support what we are doing. Then, I post everything they need to have access to on the syllabus that is on this blog. In fact, for this test, I posted an online test for them to review that had half of the questions that were actually on the test to ensure their success. The other half of the questions came directly from the powerpoint we reviewed, and the students took notes on in class. This powerpoint link was posted on the syllabus, as well. They were given every bit of preparation and tools for success to ensure a positive outcome. However, I can’t ensure that they will actually use what I give them in preparation.
So, I am coming to you in this post to ask for your help. Please be aware that everything I do is on this blog. I have already posted the test we took yesterday under the Homework/Quizzes/Tests button on the blog so you can see the test yourself, and the students can access it for future reference. What we do in class is posted on the syllabus. Our themes, our homework, our quizzes, our tests….are all posted. In addition, all of my resources for them are posted to ensure their success, as well. I will never give them anything (a quiz, a test, etc.) that I have not fully prepared them for, and posted the resources for within these pages. So, you can check in every week and see what we’re doing, what we have done, and what is coming up for your student. In fact, check-in often because new posts and info can be posted on a daily basis, and it will help you to help your student.
The transition from sixth to seventh grade is sometimes hard because more is expected of you. We are preparing the students to master the standards for seventh grade, as well as face the challenge of eighth grade. We are also asking students to reflect a higher level of personal responsibility. In addition to which, we are asking our optional and plus students to go above and beyond the everyday norm; to stretch the boundaries and challenge themselves to excel at a higher level. I am confident that every single student on the Falcons team can meet the challenge I place before them, and exceed my expectations. However, as an over-achiever myself, I have trouble accepting work that does not fully reflect striving for excellence.
I know from my many years of teaching, that the most powerful tool I have in helping my students achieve is to form a strong triumvirate relationship between myself, the student and the parents. That is why this blog is such a powerful tool this year…it can keep you all abreast of the needs and activities of your student on a daily basis, as well as provide the pathway for excellent teacher/student/parental communication.
Thank you for sharing your wonderful students with me this year. I take the responsibility of teaching them very seriously, and want you all to know that I try to provide them with the best possible educational atmosphere; one that I would want for my own children. Thanks for your help and I look forward to meeting many of you at the Optional Open House the Thursday before Labor Day Weekend.
P.S. Please feel free to post a comment below after reading this post, or email me at anytime at mortonvm@mcsk12.net or mrs.morton.wsms@gmail.com.

15 comments:

  1. hi mrs.morton me and my mom have both read this blog!!!!! see you tomorrow.

    -maddie jackson

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents and I have read the blog!
    -Nhu & Hoangnha Vo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog.




    -Eve Abraha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mrs. Morton, my son Julian and I have read the blog, and we look forward to working together towards a successful school year. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.
    - E. Kyles

    ReplyDelete
  5. me and my mom read this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom and I read your blog.
    Trista Holmes

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom and I read the blog.


    -Abbey Robertson

    ReplyDelete
  8. i read it


    - Margaret Hamer

    ReplyDelete
  9. My father and I read this entry. I have also read over every quiz you have posted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read your blog.
    Khari's mom

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all of the wonderful communication and inspiring kids to learn!
    Lisa Busby
    Mother to J.C.

    ReplyDelete
  12. read ur blog and reviewed quiz
    _nadia foster

    ReplyDelete
  13. I JUST read your posts and this one was PREEETTY lenghthy!! :)... Anyways i just wanted to tell you that i`m looking forward to a great year with all my teachers!!!

    P.S.... I read your blog! X)

    ~~~Hannah Mills

    ReplyDelete
  14. This blog entry was long. I read it.

    Moe Pruitte

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read your message to parents.
    Sarah Hamer

    ReplyDelete